Friday, June 29, 2012

Even more books

So I am all for the evolving of everything in life so that things get better for everyone, but there is one place that I just can't help but hope that things will not change too much: books.

I love books. I love reading books. I love writing books. There are billions of people who would agree with me. I have a noticed a disturbing change in the way we read books. The e-book industry is going absolutely insane as it should. I firmly believe that electronic books need to have their say in the marketplace and they deserve to be there, but I don't think they should take over completely.

There is something marvelous about holding a book in your hand and turning an actual page. I've heard all the commercials about the e-readers and stuff and I do think they have their value, even I want to publish e-versions of my books. Yet I do hope that actual books will continue to be published.

I guess the imaginative part of my brain sees the possibility of a future where electricity might not be readily available to all people and when that day comes I will hold on to my books. I will read them when the e-readers go blank.

So just a word to all the readers out there: don't take your e-futures for granted, buy an actual book once in a while and support your local library. :)

Another of my favorite authors is JRR Tolkien.

No comments: