Thursday, November 20, 2014

Successful Book Launch Party

So I had an online FaceBook Book Launch party on Tuesday. It was awesome. I had so many friends attend and I was so happy to see so many people support me. We had prizes donated by several wonderful authors and musicians and even a Q&A session with me. I love surprising people with my methods of writing.

Some of the questions asked:

Q: Do you have the whole basis for your stories when they come to you and then you fill in the hundreds of pages? Or does the storyline come in bits and pieces with even a surprise ending for you too?

A: I usually have an idea of what I want to happen, but when I write it is like I am reading the book for the first time. It's just in my head. There have been many times when something that happens in the book surprises me.

Q:  I love the research you just fall into while looking for something else. Does that happen to you?

A:  That has happened to me. Not necessarily research, but reading other books and then getting ideas and suddenly I have a story. Another secret I have is dreams. I have several dreams that will someday be books.

Q:  Do you have any writing routines or quirks? Things you must have/do in order to write?

A:  Not really. I just sit at my computer and write. Sometimes I write when I have a break on the airplane and I pull out my notebook and write. I've also noticed that when I get really tired of writing I read and read and read and read. When I've read seven or eight or ten books by other people, then I'm ready to write again. I also try to follow the inspiration I get. Just to be on the level, I feel VERY blessed and VERY inspired by Heavenly Father. I truly believe He has blessed me with the books I've written.

Q:  How fast do you write?

A:  That depends on the book. I can usually finish a book in a few months. I actually wrote 45,000 words in four days last summer. Crazy stuff. Just remember I don't have children, only dogs. Sometimes I disappear into my room for days at a time.

Q:  Do you have any other books contracted to come out right now?

A:  Not yet, but there is some interest. I actually had another flight attendant that I was working with tell me to write a story set in Victorian London and my character had to have superpowers. I didn't think I could do it, but 60,000 words later, ta da, I have a mystery. That one is actually available to read on my www.wr1t3r.hubpages.com account. It's called The Shadow.

Q:  I know you like to write fantasy. What is your favorite genre to write?

A:  I'm doing pretty good in YA, but I love writing fantasy. At this point in time I have 19 completed novels, The Line That Divides is the first to get published. I have a fantasy trilogy and then two series of YA dystopian along with a few mysteries and a YA series about Dyrads in the modern world.

Q: How did you get the idea for The Line That Divides?

A:  I read another WW2 book and I hated how it ended, so I decided to do some research and write my own WW2 book. I think it turned out pretty good.

Q:  What's your favorite part of the writing process?

A:   Writing the ending and knowing that it is finished. It's just cool when you finish it to know that everything is done that was meant to be written...then the editing starts. :(

Q:  How did you do your research for your novel? What are your favorite methods?

A:   I did lots of online research and then I spent half a day at Hill Air Force Base Aerospace Museum talking to the gentleman in charge of the B-17 bombers. My brother also gave me a book about airplanes that I used as well. My favorite method is online research, but I loved being able to take pictures of the plane at the museum. I would love to actually go to Austria and see the places I google earthed.





No comments: