Friday, April 6, 2012

The Tower 46

I glanced at the door as it swung shut with a clang and the click of a lock finalized the realization. We were trapped, imprisoned as effectively as Sareanne had been. Antheus' face appeared behind the bared window of the door.

 He examined the tarrange with a sigh. "I'm so disappointed in you Tuug. I thought you would be faithful to me."

The tarrange hissed and growled again. I could hear the underlying curses and anger from the creature beside me as well as the current of fear.

"Don't stoop to his level, Tuug," Sareanne said softly. The tarrange's tail twitched petulantly and he turned away from the door. "You can't keep me here forever, Antheus," Sareanne said confidently.

"Perhaps not, but for now I know where you are. Since you have managed to poison my pet, Tuug, I am most obliged to you for offering another prison that is just as convenient," he said matter-of-factly.

"Poisioning?" I sputtered as a flare of anger rose to the surface. "We returned him to his original form."

"He was so much more attractive the other way," Antheus replied nettling me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but Tuug growled again and spit at the door. Whatever it was he had said I silently agreed with.

 "His language was much nicer too," Antheus continued. "Why did you come down here? I would have thought you would be making your way back to the tower by now, Sareanne."

 I realized he didn't know what we could see and I kept my thoughts occupied elsewhere. The last thing I wanted was for him to know that his curse had flaws.

"I wanted to see my kingdom with my own unaffected eyes," Sareanne covered. I was grateful for her attentiveness to our situation. "Go gloat somewhere else, Antheus, I'm done speaking to you."

She dismissed him with a wave and turned her back on the barred door. I looked over at Sareanne and Tuug and then turned back to the door.

"I'm with her," I thought as loudly as I could. With satisfaction I saw him flinch ever so slightly and then he left.

No comments: