Friday, February 10, 2012

The Tower 19


After the chapter on architecture I finally came to a discourse on the castle itself. It had been constructed many years after the grapes became the main trade item, by a man named Rutheus. He was not really a king, but he was the closest thing Anderosea had to one. He tried to rule his people kindly and fairly.  He supported himself by working in his vineyards near the sea.
The prosperity of the kingdom was due mainly to his work ethic and the love of his people. They were content with their lives and thrilled with their products. As the popularity of the grapes widened Rutheus found himself the center of attention of kingdoms from far away, all who happened to have a daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, or niece they would be happy to give in marriage.
Rutheus was a simple man, though, and he ended up choosing a bride from the forestlands of his own kingdom. Shortly after they wed he began construction of the castle.  It took ten years to build and at the end of the ten years he and his wife were the proud parents of two sons and three daughters.
They moved into the castle and continued to rule the kingdom with the same hard work and loving kindness Rutheus had shown before. The castle became an icon of the kingdom and it stood as a symbol of the goodness of Anderosea and their grapes.
I was fascinated by this little history lesson. The chapter talked about how the castle had been built and Rutheus’ love of graceful arches and open spaces. It even contained a map of the castle and I traced my own steps to the round room.
When I finished the third chapter I felt I knew a lot more than I had before about this strange land I had been brought to, but I still was no closer to understanding the mystery around me than before.

No comments: