Monday, May 20, 2013

More Conference means more spirit.

So I have been reading and listening to (thank you church app) several conference talks and there are two that I most definitely suggest reading and/or listening to. Though it is pretty awesome to listen and read, I seem to get a lot more out of it.

The first one is by President Thomas S. Monson, Obedience Brings Blessings. President Monson quotes the Hymn Oh Say, What is Truth, no. 272.

Tho the heavens depart and the earth's fountains burst,
Truth, the sum of existence, will weather the worst,
Eternal, unchanged, evermore.

In Doctrine and Covenants 93:24 he quoted:

Truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come. ...
The spirit of truth is of God. ...
And no man receiveth a fullness unless he keepeth his commandments.
He that keepeth [God's] commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things.

Wow. That is totally amazing. I love the truth and I love it when the scriptures really lay it down for you. President Monson goes on to say:

"There is no need for you or for me, in this enlightened age when the fulness of the gospel has been restored, to sail uncharted seas or to travel unmarked roads in search of truth. A loving Heavenly Father has plotted our course and provided an unfailing guide--even obedience. A knowledge of truth and the answers to our greatest questions come to us as we are obedient to the commandments of God."

What a promise to use to remain obedient in all things and we will gain knowledge and truth!!!

The second talk is by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Lord, I Believe. Elder Holland shares the story of the man who came to the apostles to seek help for his son, but they were unable to give the service. The Lord then told the man that all things were possible to them that believe and the man immediately replied 'Lord, I believe, help thou my unbelief.'

Elder Holland then explains "We are told that [belief] is good enough for a beginning." We must "hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge come." And when question and problems come to us, "do not start your quest for faith by saying how much you do not have, leading as it were with your unbelief...I am asking you to be true to the faith that you do have."

What wise council this is for us in our day where there are so many people and ideas out there that challenge what we know and believe, that challenge the truth, trying to dress it in the false ideas of the world.

I am grateful for truth, for the power of MY beliefs, and the faith I have gained, and the knowledge and faith I will continue to gain as I progress.


No comments: