Monday, April 23, 2012

10 Inches

Have you ever really considered just how long 10 inches is? I hadn't really thought about it until I decided I wanted to donate my hair to Locks of Love. I have been growing it out for the past four years, but never with any real point except that I like having long hair. Well I had thought about cutting and donating it, but cutting my hair has always been a difficult thing for me. I like long hair, I like playing with long hair, I like styling or ponytailing, or curling my long hair.

Several months ago I mentioned my desire to cut and donate my hair to my wonderful 12-year-old niece who also had really pretty, long hair. She asked why and I told her it would be something neat to do and because grandma (my mom) had benefited from other people donating their hair. I also had other nieces who had cut and donated their hair before and I had never really had enough hair on my head to do so.

I didn't think much of the conversation until a few weeks later when I saw my niece and she had cut and donated her hair to Locks of Love. Her mother had also done the same thing for moral support. I was so proud of her actions and her willingness to give up her long hair to help others. This stuck with me for the next few months. I knew if I cut my hair it would be a great deal shorter than I liked, but I wanted to follow the awesome example of my niece and my other nieces.

So today I took the leap. I (well my wonderful stylist) cut 10 inches (11 in some places) of my hair and I am in the process of sending it to Locks of Love.
Now I have to admit that I am very proud of myself and I am finding that I love my short hair. I'm sure I will love my hair when it gets longer again, but this is something I have always wanted to do and now I have done it.

The hardest part about the whole thing is that I keep wanting to show my mom my new haircut and each time I want to pick up the phone I hope she's near me and knows I'm thinking of her and I hope she's proud of me even though I know she would secretly be horrified that I cut off all my hair. :)

Now onto the adventure of short hair!!!

No comments: