Sunday, April 14, 2013

General Conference

So I have been listening to the talks given in General Conference this last week, since I was flying and was unable to watch them. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to and reading them.

I felt impressed to stop and write down my thoughts on Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk This Is My Work and Glory.

I too have felt the awe and wonder as I've stared down at the world from 19,000 feet and been humbled at the magnitude and beauty of God's creations. I love the fact that Elder Ballard helps us understand the power by which all things were and are created, which is the power of the Priesthood.

The council to nurture this power in our homes no matter what our circumstances is vital to our spiritual survival. In the talk he shares the story of a young girl who had a tomato plant and shared what the potential of that plant could be, but only if she nurtured and cared for that plant. The power of the Priesthood is the same; it must be nurtured and cared for.

We are also the same. We must strive to strengthen our testimonies and do the things that will help us grow closer to our Savior Jesus Christ.

I was also deeply touched in my listening yesterday when I read Elder Crag A. Cardon's talk The Savior Wants to Forgive.

He talks about how the Savior often forgave the sins of the people while he was on the earth and opened up my understanding of the Atonement.

"In this forgiveness we see the enabling and the redeeming power of the Atonement harmoniously and graciously applied. If we exercise faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the enabling power of His Atonement strengthensus in our moment of need,14 and His redeeming power sanctifies us as we “[put] off the natural man.”15 This brings hope to all, especially to those who feel that recurring human weakness is beyond the Savior’s willingness to help and to save."

I am amazed and humbled by the power and depth of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, that if I do my part he will forgive my sins. The Savior wants to forgive. What a profound truth!

Another talk that touched me yesterday was Bishop Dean M. Davis' A Sure Foundation. Where he discuses the Savior's invitation to come unto Him and build upon his gospel which is a sure foundation.

I was particularly interested in his description of the Loma Prieta earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay Area in 1989. Since I fly in and out of San Francisco right now I was immediately intrigued at his mention of the quake. Then as he continued to liken that to building our testimonies and spiritual strength on the Savior how it will help us against the foundation of sad, dirt, and rubble that the world offers.

These are just a few of the talks that I have thought about and wanted to mention. I would encourage anyone who needs a spiritual strengthener to read, listen to, or watch conference. It will lift your spirit and strengthen your soul.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints General Conference, April 2013



No comments: