Sunday, January 20, 2013

Wisdom

So I was reading the January Ensign and I came across this talk given by Elder Neil L. Andersen called Reverence for God Is the Beginning of Wisdom. This was given as a commencement address in April of 2009 at BYU-Idaho.

This talk is absolutely amazing and struck me with such force that I actually had to read it again so I could glean as much as possible from it.

He discusses how we live in the information age and yet it doesn't mean we have the understanding of God. He quoted T. S. Eliot: 


The endless cycle of idea and action,
Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word.
All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance,
All our ignorance brings us nearer to death,
But nearness to death no nearer to God.
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

Elder Andersen discusses the blessings of wisdom but cautions us; "And finally, the wisdom of the world, while in many cases very valuable, is most valuable when it humbly bows to the wisdom of God...More important, the wisdom that brings success in the world must be willing to step behind the wisdom of God and not think that it can substitute for it."

He quoted many scriptures about wisdom, but in everything it comes back to the understanding that: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Psalm 111:10) Fear meaning profound reverence. God's "wisdom is perfect. It is pure. It is unselfish."

I was touched by the power in the scriptures that made me think about the wisdom that I have and if I allow the wisdom of God to take precedence. "Joseph Smith said this: 'The things of God are of deep import; and time, and experience, and careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts can only find them out.' There is no instant gratification in seeking for the wisdom of God...With the wisdom of God, we see beyond our current circumstances because, as the scripture says, 'the Spirit...speaketh of things as they really are and as they really will be'"

I would encourage everyone to read this talk. It speaks truth and humbles the reader. I am grateful for these times when something such as this touches me, humbles me and inevitably helps me grow closer to my Heavenly Father.

No comments: